Jagdtiger was a German heavy tank destroyer from World War II. The first prototypes of the vehicle were created in 1943, and serial production lasted in the period 1944-1945, ending with the production of only 88 cars. Jagdtiger was powered by a single Maybach HL 230 P30 engine with 700 hp. Its basic armament was a powerful PaK 44 L / 55 caliber 128 mm gun and 1 MG34 or MG 42 machine gun 7.92 mm.
Jagdtiger was established at the Henschel plant in connection with the order by the Reich Armament Office of August 1943 for a vehicle that could be armed with a new 128mm cannon. The new vehicle was based on a modified Pzkpfw VI Ausf tank chassis. B (Tiger II). Ultimately, the heaviest armored vehicle of World War II, weighing up to 75 tons, with weapons capable of destroying enemy tanks at a distance of up to 3500-4000 meters and well-armored. At the same time, it was characterized by fatal maneuverability, very low maximum speed, definitely behind a weak engine and high susceptibility to malfunctions – especially the gearbox. Jagdtiger tank destroyers served in two battalions of heavy tank destroyers numbered 512 and 653, from September 1944, fighting primarily on the Western Front.